Good Thursday morning and thank you for coming to my blog.
Today I wanted to tell you some things about KRISanthemums that you might not know.
1. The name: my son-in-law, Matt came up with the name KRISanthemums and at the time I wasn’t too sure. If my name was in the business title, I couldn’t really hide and so it was a leap for me to do this. To see KRISanthemums on everything printed took awhile to get used to, but I know it was the right move.
2. The first wedding bouquet made by me, was 18 years ago.
3. When I was asked to make another bouquet, I realized that I wanted to do this as a business. This meant licenses, permits, insurance, bonds, etc. and all the big stuff to run business. As the business increased and I needed more …I worked hard to pay for that as I needed it. Not overextending myself or having loans in the back of my mind was something that I chose as a business plan.
4. I had always loved flowers, loved the gardens but I knew what that meant …for me to grow I would have to continue to educated myself and learn. Happily, I can say for the last 17 years I have done that each year( although the expense of that is crazy). Taking hands on classes, certified classes, seminars and other opportunities to learn has kept me excited about what I do.
5. At first I started out just doing a few events, out of the garage. I got a small flower cooler and then we built in the gardens a small area for me to use for flowers and for brides to use when we had events. This meant that before each event I had to move and put away/clean up things each time. After a few years of that, one day I looked at out two car garage and said its full of stuff…that is when the studio became the place it is today. It was with the help of others that the studio became a reality and I appreciate all of them who helped me in that journey of getting it built. You know who you are!
6. Having a dedicated space to work in is the best thing ever and having it as a home studio is a true blessing. Starting laundry or moving water in the gardens can happen anytime and I have the flexibility to do that! Separating work space from home space is a bit harder though with the studio being within the 5 acres of gardens. For me it is a positive and a balancing act I walk every day.
7. It’s usually just me in the studio and with some things I call in my husband to carry, lift, climb, critique or harvest from the gardens or greenhouse. Doug challenges me to be better each day in the studio.
8. I’m a list person, checking off a list or completing a task is how I run. When I’m in the middle of a project that’s pretty much my focus and everything else disappears. At times it is hard to shut down that drive and just relax, but that is a work in progress.
9. As the business grew( other than just wedding flowers) and demands for other types flower designs started coming in I adapted. Today I deliver locally and focus on seasonal flowers and designs that are original to each order. When people place an order, I look at it this way: they found me, wanted my unusual style and I am extremely happy with that.
10. Providing my clients with a unique design and great customer service is something I try very hard at every day. That is the reason it is just me in the studio and I haven’t expanded further. Not having a retail storefront or being a part of a national delivery service is what I’ve been told over the years should be my next step…but for me bigger isn’t better. I want to meet, greet and be able to offer a fabulous product to clients. It’s the interaction and the connection with each person that is the joy of my business.
So that’s 10 things about me and KRISanthemums.
I hope you enjoyed it !
P.S. I love tulips, it’s spring, send tulips to brighten the day…
(photo above by the Sweet Life Photography)